English Grammar

You should be able find your fan

1. I expected: you should be able to find your fan.
2. Vocabulary: the person is missing his computer. What does "fan" mean in this context?

10 comments

• I'll try it again to get an answer.
    The sentence: "you should be able find your fan" is very uncomprehensible to me.
    I know "to be able to find something"
    I don't know "to be able find something"

a fan is somebody who is enthousiasthic about a person or a film or a melody. A computer can't be a fan of his owner!
    Or what does it mean, is it an idiom "to find your fan"?
  • Hey, man, I share your opinion. That sentence is quite bewildering. By all odds it's very bad English.
    I wonder whether someone - maybe a clever one the kind of Head Gasket - will be able TO throw light on that way of speaking.

For my part, I think it's a common way of everyday speaking by lazybones guys who drop particules. The same with the "fan", probably a personal word working as a whatsit, a thingy.
  • Hi, Fugendich,

I'm not exactly sure which part of the sentence you are focusing on, and I can't find the phrase you have quoted in my search of our lessons. Can you tell me what the name of the lesson you got it from is, please, and whether it was in a grammar exercise or a one of the principal questions?

A "fan" is an object that turns in order to move air or gases. In a computer, it keeps the main body of the computer cool. See this link for an idea of what I mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_fan

I hope that helps, but let me know if you are asking about another part of the sentence by writing a message to support@gymglish.com

Also, in general, it's best to ask lesson-specific questions in the comments section at the bottom of your lesson rather than on the forum here, because if you use the comments box, then we can look at the lesson that you are talking about!
  • Thanks for your help
  • A 'fan' is also a machine that propels cool air... in this context it refers to a part of a computer that cools the cpu and prevents it from overheating.
  • In case of a computer device, the fan does convey hot ouf the casing instead of blowing in cool air to cool the computer interior. It's a widepread misunderstanding that a fan in a computer blows cool air on the CPU in order to cool it. As a matter of fact, it removes the warm air and helps to dissipate the thermal engergy, thus avoiding overheating.

If you put your hand at the fan on the back of your desktop, you will notice it blows air out.
  • Very interesting details about the lost fan.
    Thank You all!
  • Quite amazing all that comments.
    The wrong grammar construction aside, the meaning attributed to the word 'fan' baffles me. Apart from Sandy who says it could be a silly personal way to say a whatsit, the trend is to make 'fan' stick to its first meaning. If the case, that would be a metonymy. But is it thinkable that 'fan' be used for a computer. If I tell that John is a good pen, I mean that John is a good writer as the pen is the typical device John uses for writing. But how could the fan of a computer be representative of the main function of a computer. I pondered as to think that a PC built up by a electronician could have in its tower a very noisy fan and then, with a touch of humour, he could be asked "Were you able to find your fan?" But is a desktop something you can loose?
    If it's a laptop, did you ever see a laptop whose fan made a loud noise?
    We shouldn't forget that 'fan' is also short for fanatic.
    My computer is so much a fan of me that it doesn't help working 24/day.

Anyway, Fugendichter, I wish you would never see your fans grow away from you. You'd better not to loose them.
  • Excuse my tiny brains, could it just be a hand fan ? not much bigger than a pen, just as old ladies use in Spain ? One says to the other "Were you able to find your fan" ?

Please sign in to leave a comment.