The Delavigne Corporation

chasing a fox ?

Though many points are being cleared when I receive my GG correction, this morning I stay with a question : in An Article in the Sunday Roast Newspaper - Put a cork in it!,
it said : “Do you judge a man on the vintage of wine he serves after vigorously chasing a fox across the English countryside?”

Is “chasing a fox across the English countryside” an idiom ? If not, what does it has to do with the quality of the wine ?

Thank anybody who has an answer.

3 comments

• Hi again, Pimpanella,

The phrase is not an idiom, no. The implication is that someone who serves vintage wine is quite "posh", or rich, or upper-middle class, and therefore is likely to enjoy hunting (that's what "chasing a fox" refers to - the tradition of fox hunting in the UK).

I hope this answers your question!
  • I think this is even ironic and about "moral decadence", as I would call it. How can you really judge a person who is torturing a fox, what a fox hunt really is if you look close at it. What standards are left to judge a man for whom animal cruelty is a part of his way of life? One thing which is left is the wine he serves. Great! That's outrageous.

What this sentence really wants to say is: It's preposterous to even bother to judge a man who commits animal cruetly by the vintage wines her serves. He has already served his verdict.
  • Hi, Sammy again, and Spoiler

Well yes, both of you answers my question, and even further ! I didn't imagine any of the implications you point in that (this ?? My GG lessons harass me with thoses two ;)) sentence.
    I'm glad I'm going to more understanding, and deeper analyze, when I'll have improved my english.

Thank you very much to you !

Please sign in to leave a comment.