Gymglish Users and Visitors Lounge

The best way to do listening workout

Hi,

I'd like to know the best method to do listening exercices. This is mine :

- First, listen to the text a first time, possibly a second time.
- Then, answer the questions
- And finally, listen more times and then refine the answers.

Is that a correct method or is there a better one ?

Best regards
Tarik

9 comments

• To Tarik.

May I be so bold as to add two tips to your rational listening method?

1. For a better hearing I use a headset.
    2. Sometimes as the speech is too swift and I cannot quite understand it, I let the tape go by small bits at a time and I jot down the text.

Be happy.
  • Hi Gee,

I use the headset too. Thanks for sharing your experience with me.

In fact,behind my question of "best method" there is a main concern : how good is my listening. And how accurate is the evaluation of my listening by GymGlish. To understand the listening text before reading related questions is better than reading questions first. And, of course, this is better than understanding after reading the transcript of text, received in the correction eMail.

Regards

Tarik
  • personally I read the questions first, so that I know what to pay attention to; then I answer and if necessary I listen to it once again
  • personally I read the questions first, so that I know what to pay attention to; then I answer and if necessary I listen to it once again
  • Hum ... may be I'm a masochist :-)
  • Hello everybody,
    I am a new user of Gymglish, and I would like to share my first steps in improving my english. So for listening exercice I try to listen two or three times then reaging the question and finally listening again to be sure of answer.
  • Hello to everyone,
    I listen first the hole story,then I repeat step by step the phrases or the word I never heard before in order to be in the music of the accent either american or UK one.
    When it comes to answering I listen again to the story surching for the right answer.
    That's the way I find it worthwhile.
    Have a nice time.
    Roulab
  • Hello, dear friends!

As you all are talking about hearing and understanding a direct speech, which is also a main concern for me, I'll dare to propose you to start a chat lounge by Skype. I have already done so with some friends, in order to practice Latin "viva voce"... and it really works! In Skype, we can hold a conversation with up to 8 participants. It even has a feature which allows to start a public forum any moment (it is named "Skypecasts"). If you are interested, please let me know. It would certainly be a pleasure to talk with you...

"Peace out", my friends!
  • Hi there!
    I beleaved you are all right with your techniques...

I will suggest Tiazora the following:
    Your main objetive must be TO LEARN English not TO GIVE the right answer, so you would listen first trying to understand the most and them based of your understanding you must answer the questions.
    I beleave every part of the lesson in Important not only what is asked for.

Regards,
    Carlos

From tiazora:
    personally I read the questions first, so that I know what to pay attention to; then I answer and if necessary I listen to it once again

Please sign in to leave a comment.