English Vocabulary

German translation of "overlord"

Hi all,
in my opinion, the german translation of the requested vocabulary "overlord" is wrong.
gymlish result: an overlord = eine Ãœberbelastung.
Excerpt: Grand Overlord of Delavigne.
I wasn't able to find a link etc., how to handle this. Is there anybody, who can help.
Thanks and bye.

5 comments

• Ãœberbelastung would be the translation of overload.
    An overload (as a noun) is an excessive quantity or an excessive demand surpassing capacity or capability.

An overlord is literally speaking a lord who is "over the lord", i.e. a supreme lord, a highly placed nobleman. With a hint of humour, it could also be a super big boss, a super-master, kinda Bruno Delavigne.
    In French we would say "un suzerain" (meaning 1) or "un grand patron" (meaning 2).
    Wouldn't you say in German "ein Oberherr" (meaning 1)? "ein grosser Chef" (meaning 2) ????

Mind the different shade of uttering oberload and overlord.
    By-Bye.
  • Yes, that is correct - comprehensive answer for "overlord" vs. "overload".

And how can this be addressed to gymglish?
  • The term "overlord" has it*s origin in medieval age.
    Back then , the overlord was a lord, a nobleman, a rich owner of land, for whom the peasant had to work hard and pay fees, called "fiefdom" in those days. The peasant were in indentured servitude toward the "overlord".

Maybe, that*s might be right, literally speaking "over lord" is one rung over a general "lord". And, indeed, the overlord on medieval ages was also a kind of "patron" for the poor, dependent peasants.
  • Hi Rabbitfoot,

If you want to check any other translations after your future lessons, then I recommend:

www.dict.cc
  • I can confirm and corroborate: www.dict.cc is the first choice and goto-adress hwen it comes to looking up translations. I don't know how this impressive project has developed in EN-FR, but I guess it is as comprehensive as the other version with which I am familiar.

Please sign in to leave a comment.