English Idioms

stick up one's nose

I don't understand exactly what "they stuck up their nose" means, it's from the song "skater boy" of Avril Lavigne; is it like to snub somebody?

4 comments

• it could mean: "thinking that tey are more important than other people and behaving in an unfriendly way towards them (snobbish)"
    it seems more informal than "to snub: to offend by ingnoring or to insult someone.
  • It refers to the posture of a person who thinks he is too important, too superior in order to talk to others
    he deems inferior: They hold the head high, which is a physical way of ignoring other people's presence whilst
    showing alleged superiority to them: They stick up their nose (to the sky)

Some adjectives for the state of mind of those people are: snobbish, conceited, arrogant, pompous, supercilious, snooty, priggish...

I know a bunch people like that. But Thank God only a bunch of people.
  • From Fugendichter:
    it could mean: "thinking that tey are more important than other people and behaving in an unfriendly way towards them (snobbish)"
    it seems more informal than "to snub: to offend by ingnoring or to insult someone.

thank you, it helps me.
  • From Spoiler:
    It refers to the posture of a person who thinks he is too important, too superior in order to talk to others
    he deems inferior: They hold the head high, which is a physical way of ignoring other people's presence whilst
    showing alleged superiority to them: They stick up their nose (to the sky)

Some adjectives for the state of mind of those people are: snobbish, conceited, arrogant, pompous, supercilious, snooty, priggish...

I know a bunch people like that. But Thank God only a bunch of people.

Thank you too, it confirms my understanding

Please sign in to leave a comment.